Wednesday, February 3, 2016

JasperReports And Fitting Coolness Into Your Life Stack

So I'm trying to get up to speed on basically every coding and web technology known to man....OK, that's what the endeavor feels like......or how I like to completely inflate my capabilities and expectations.....anyway, I've been reviewing iReport Designer (yes, I know, it's officially unsupported.....).  Pretty neat stuff.  One of the great things about the report is really the simplicity....



I have two (and a half) observations.

First, this api looks very useful (ignoring the direct db call, ha!) and fairly simple.  The deployment doesn't seem so outrageous (but I haven't put anything in production.......so that will likely change).  I always have to stop and admire folks like JasperSoft who put such a great effort to make something as absolutely tedious and boring as data reports in a fairly slick package.  Nice. And thanks.

Secondly, the more I get into java technologies, the more I see how much xml (or some variant) is leveraged.  Heck, I've noticed in my own apps that doing something as simple as an xml for name-value pairs for properties can be helpful.  And, based on some materials elsewhere, this is something that will continue as I expand my horizons.

Second-and-a-halfly, I do embrace this technology.....well, I believe I do.  My challenge as I'm learning is to also figure out integration.  I am immersed in a PLM world, most notably Windchill.  Windchill has been hit or miss on integration points for external api's like this.  I hope it's a hit on this one.  My observation is that learning a new technology is cool.  Seeing how folks who developed it were seeing "my pain" is cool.  Getting some slick initial results is cool.  What's not always cool is the integrating the overall "coolness" into your everyday life.  Like, say, Windchill.  Always one of those things that comes along in parallel (as I'm seeing) with learning a technology.  May be cool......but whatever stack of life you have put together may render that coolness pointless.  Or some such.

[Edited to change my horrible use of "iReports".....]

No comments:

Post a Comment